I try not to think of myself as “too busy.” Life is about priorities; you either choose to prioritize something, or you don’t. I prioritize health, fitness, family, friends and career (this order is mostly right today) even if it means having to say “no” to things that don’t make it as high on my list. While there are exceptions here and there, I’m deliberate about saying “yes” to things that feed my soul.
I aim to go to Crossfit at least 4 times a week and I’m currently receiving Chiropractic care 2-3 times a week. While hangouts with friends are also high up on my list, health and fitness trump it, so if times conflict, I say “no” to friends. Of course, I always try my best to shift my schedule and slot all the things I care about 😃 Stupid simple.
While there are countless apps on how to manage tasks and time, I’m pretty non-tech in this space! Some “things” that help me take care of me are habits & routines, investments in my sanity.
My daily nourishment
- Bulletproof coffee. I hope I’m not that annoying friend who is always talking about their special Paleo routines but I love the comfort of a nice cup of coffee with ghee, Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil, and Coconut Oil blended up! I have this first thing when I arrive in the office.
- Protein. Eggs & my probiotic of choice. Most recently I serve them up with sauerkraut.
- Water bottle. Stay hydrated; stay happy. Sometimes I get fancy and infuse with fruit but most times I keep it straight.
- Move around! I aim to hit 4 days a week of at least 30 minutes of exercise. To make it happen, I block myself off in my Google calendar. I’m lucky that we have a gym at work, so at a minimum, I stretch and hang out on the foam roller.
- Decompression time nightly. I try to do ROMWOD a couple times a week, which is like a Crossfit-branded version of yin yoga. Who woulda thought?! Sometimes, it’s as simple as a warm tea or reading my Kindle.
- MacBook Pro
- iPhone 6 Plus. No case! Call me crazy.
- Comfy on the bottom workout leggings and professional on top.
Staying organized & passionate:
- Bullet journal
- Gel pens
- Washi tape
- Evernote for note-taking
- Google calendar. Pro:tip: I block myself off as “busy” for projects, even if it’s not a meeting.
- Google Drive
- Slack. I’m obsessed with bots although I haven’t gotten around to making a Slackbot myself.
- Pocket. I stumble upon loads of good articles throughout the day. With Pocket, I can “save it for later” so I can stay focused on my tasks.
Automate my life
- Zapier. Anything manual and repetitive, I try to do with Zapier.
- TextExpander. So I don’t have to type the same thing over and over, ya know? I make my life easier by expanding snippets of text while keeping it personal and non-robotic.